Leanne in Mexico City

Leanne in Mexico City

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hello :-)

So I thought I would talk a little bit about my job here. Yesterday, I was told to observe two classes so I could see how a typical class from the school (Inter act) goes. I first went to a class at a bit electrics company called Mabe. I was very early so I waited until the other English teacher arrived. We waited 45 minutes before the first student arrived so the class was only about an hour and a half. I just sat and listened and got an idea on how to give a class. I then went home for lunch and was ging to meet the girl again at 1.30 for another class at a publishing company called Teran. I got there and 5 minutes before the class began I was still waiting, until the director from the school phoned me and said that the other english teacher had been held up at the immigration class so could I go ahead and give the class.... Of course I said "oh yes mmhmm no probelm" but I was in a cold sweat thinking omg this is horrible let me go home haha. I then met the 4 students and were shuffled into a room in the building. The class was for beginers so it was really difficult trying to teach because 1) they couldn't understand me 2) I had no preparation or lesson plan for them, I only knew they were studying simple past and they had to practice it. Thankfully they were really friendly and understood that I wasn't supposed to teach the class. Some how we made it through the class and it was actually quite a fun class.
This moring, I had my first scheudled class. I was able to plan ahead and the guy that I was teaching, arrived on time and we did a class of appearance and adjectives. I have to say, my accent has been a problem at time, especially today, i was called to cover a class (bearing in mind, i have no idea really how to teach) for a girl called Laura. I find myself having to repeat myself in a fake american accent although I think by the end of the class she was understanding me better and again, I though the class went well.
Tonight Jose and I had planned to watch the football game but i got an email asking if I could observe some more classes at one of the other interact schools. I have to take the metro and then a bus, but jose will be with me so I think it should be fine. I am disappointed to not watch the game though, I had my mexico football shirt ready to go!
Anyway, I have to leave in a bit. I have just been to office depot and bought my binder and board pens, I have enjoyed organizing everything. Tomorrow I have a new student in the moring at Mabe, I've been told he speaks very good english so I think this will help. The Mabe offices and so fancy, Lots of business people oh and then give free coffee so i like it there. The only downside to this job is the early starts. Jose and I get up at 6.15 and leave at 6.45.. the bus is full of sleeping people, me being one of them. Anyways everything is going well here so I will talk again soon! bye xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment